Last Wednesday I had to take a urine sample along to the clinic for testing. It was strange carrying that little bottle of urine - less a urine sample more of a crystal ball as to what our future held. Unfortunately, the result of our first attempt at IVF was a big fat negative. Boo!
When the nurse came in to tell us the result, she was very sweet and simply said "I'm sorry, its a no.". She is a great nurse - we've seen her a few times before and she was always great.
I wasn't as upset as I thought I would be. I did absolutely everything I possibly could have done to help it to work - regular reflexology, time off work, vitamin supplements, glasses of milk, fresh pineapple (don't ask!) and even gave up diet coke (now that was dedication!).
We've taken a few days to collect our thoughts and feelings. We only had once chance on the NHS, so to do it again will costs us about £6K - we have savings of £0.
The nurse gave us the option of seeing the consultant to go through the cycle and ask questions. There is no reason why it didn't work, but some people like to ask questions or they could just send out a letter summarising the consultants view on how the cycle went. We asked for the letter to be sent out but I called this morning to arrange an appointment because we have decided to give it another go after christmas.
Christmas will be downscaled in a big way in the Taylor household as we save like crazy to try to pay for our next attempt. Whilst neither of us are thrilled at the prospect of another full on month like September was, I think we both feel we have to try it again or else will regret it in the future when it is too late to try again. So we are going to gather our funds and gather our courage ready to start again after christmas. We must be mental!
I called the clinic this morning to arrange an appointment for to see the consultant. As soon as I explained our first round had failed and we were looking to go private for a second round, well, the receptionist could not have been MORE helpful! "Sure, how quickly would you like to be seen?" - "err, the end of November?" "no problem - how about the week of 23rd?" "yep" "okay we can do the 23rd, what time would you like? Is 9.30 okay for you?" Erm, are you the same frosty receptionist that normally just barks a time and date at me irrespective of its convenience??? Wow, she has either just had some major re-training or else money buys manners! Bizarre.
No comments:
Post a Comment