- Some women bloom in pregnancy and love it - I am not one of them. I am permanently tired and frustrated at how quickly I get tired (see below)
- "I'm pregnant - not ill" is absolutely right, but that doesn't mean you have to be superwoman and nor does it mean you can carry on as normal. When I was 14 weeks pregnant I was involved in a transaction at work that kept me there until 1am on a Friday night and on calls with clients and marking up documents all weekend. That resulted in me being absolutely shattered for about 3 weeks. I have since tried to leave before 7pm each night but don't always manage it.
- Midwifes will look at you as if you are totally nuts if you let them know you worked until 1am whilst pregnant!
- I can be reduced to tears at a whim (examples include: a total meltdown on Wall Street in New York when I couldn't find anything to eat (all the shops were shut as it was a Sunday afternoon) and I was really hungry; reading "Guess How Much I Love You" in Waterstones book store one Saturday afternoon and crying when I got to the end and crying because I am tired)
- There is a serious gap in the clothing market - getting maternity clothes that are smart for a pregnant professional is a nightmare. Most shops' ideas of maternity work clothes are t-shirts and leggings! Not quite the tailored shirts and suits my workplace expect!
- Boobs can grow at an extortionate rate and I should take out shares in M&S!
- Books entitled "40,0001 Baby Names" should be taken off the shelves on account of the misrepresentation. Since when were "money" and other equally ridiculous suggestions names?
- Everyone will have a different opinion on your bump size. Some say its big, others say its small.
- Chivalry is dead. I stand on the train most days and have only been offered a seat once - by a lady in her 60s. Men (and women) in their suits will have a look, spy the bump and immediately look the opposite way ensuring no eye contact is made. This includes women you have previously given seats to when they were pregnant! Memories are short!
- Seeing your baby's heart beat on an ultrasound and seeing him moving around the screen is the best sight in the world and hearing his heartbeat is amazing.
- My little boy is going to have a sweet tooth. Eating/drinking anything sweet gets him doing a jig in my tummy.
- Deciding whether or not to breastfeed is a huge decision that I can't yet make.
- I can't wait to cuddle my baby.
- Chris is going to be a wonderful father - he loves to feel the baby wriggle and kick and regularly kisses my tummy despite the fact it is now getting a bit fuzzy (is that normal???)
Tuesday, 10 May 2011
25 weeks in and 15 to go
I thought I should post and write down some of my reflexions on the first two trimesters of my pregnancy before I forget! So here are a few things I have learnt along the way:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh I love this... and yes, being pregnant sure gives you an appreciation for how amazing your boobs are. I'm just so thrilled for you two! Enjoy every moment you have together! Go to lots and movies and sleep as much as you can. We miss and love you guys!
ReplyDelete